To Bruise Or Not To Bruise

Buy shin guards or stop deadlifting? That is the question. And the exclamation: my kids say the big bruise you see here looks like an upside down exclamation mark. In deep purple.

Thanks to a visit to the chiro and a session with my boss, I'm improving on my form and looking forward to moving up in weight. (Still not sure how I was pulling 200 with an nonfiring left glute.) This will not improve upon the bruising--it's a given with the move--though I'm told the shins toughen up in time. I'm also calling on my retired Adidas stingers for help; as wrestling shoes used for boxing, I'm convinced their low soles will help me deadlift. Why not?

Too many changes to allow me time to be ready for a meet next Saturday, though I haven't ruled out competing for fun. In addition to my boxing/wrestling shoes, I will surely be wearing some long pants, because man, this shin hurts.

So why do this? It's a great question, one I've been putting to some guys at the gym. Yes, usually guys, because they tend to feel as I do: we have to lift heavy stuff. I know the meaning's deeper than that, but it's hard to get at without sounding like all I care about is looks. Read back a few posts to get that idea out of your head.

I'm thankful that this is now my trade, as every exercise I do helps me help others. Experiments are necessary, which is incredibly awesome, as I love them. Ask me about the Bag O' Rice workout I conducted today--outside, in full view of the neighbors, with 50lbs of rice above my head. (You know you want me to train you.)

Do I need to know what motivates me? It's like analyzing a lover's nose to pinpoint his or her beauty. I'm just going to lift that rice, raise that bar, and bruise that shin. Maybe all next weekend; I'll let you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Happening In My Head While Someone's Hitting It

What's Left

Getting Rid Of The Children's Pets, One Lonely Creature At A Time (The Video)