Scenes from a Shelter

1. You are not an accident.

TASHA: I found the most amazing tampon machine today. Seriously! It kept giving the quarter back. There was a time when I would have cleaned the thing out, but I swear I only took what I needed. I swear! A couple of pads, too. I used the quarter for a cup of coffee downstairs.

2. Even at the moment of your conception, out of many possibilities only certain cells combined, survived, grew to be you.

JILL: This? I got stabbed in the hand. This woman I know, she's into drugs and all that, she thought I stole something from her. She stabbed me in the hand and smeared the blood all over my face. There was a razor blade in her mouth. Thank you. I'll be okay. Just keep me in your prayers.

3. You are unique.

AMY: We're going to do an exercise called "I Am." You'll come to this chair, close your eyes and tell us who you are. What makes you you.

JAN: I am an analyst. I observe people. I like to give advice and help. Anybody need anything?

KARLA: I am an alcoholic, but I really want to change. I want to get my life back on track. That's it.

TRACY: I am a mother of a nine-year-old girl who can't stay here because of the rules. I don't usually participate in these games because I don't want to make a damn fool of myself. I am one of seven children. I was adopted because of some things my father did to me and my sister. Thank you.

4. You were created for a purpose.

JILL: I'm cold tonight. No, not usually--maybe it's because of my hand. I just want to stretch out on the mat and wrap myself under the blanket. Mmmmm.

5. God loves you.

AMY: I want to finish with a Celtic blessing I found. It fits well with what we've been doing tonight. Let me read it to you.

You are not an accident.
Even at the moment of your conception,
out of many possibilities
only certain cells combined,
survived, grew to be you.
You are unique.
You were created for a purpose.
God loves you.

(Phrases echo, overlap: You are unique--My father did some things to me--for a purpose, not an accident--I was stabbed--Only certain cells combined, grew to be--An alcoholic--I took only what I need--God loves you--Smeared the blood over my face--For a purpose. Wrap myself in the blanket, my only blanket.)

AMY: And all the people said--
ALL: Amen.

Lights out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Happening In My Head While Someone's Hitting It

Getting Rid Of The Children's Pets, One Lonely Creature At A Time (The Video)

What's Left