Wednesday, May 9, 2012

For The Mom Who's Neither Sweet Nor Gentle

There's a disturbing trend in Mother's Day advertising, and it has a lot to do with sweets and all things gentle.

An email from the local art museum promises "a relaxing classical concert" for Mom, plus desserts.

The newspaper featured a pancake recipe. Presumably one would make the pancakes and wave them under Mom's nose Sunday morning to wake her gently. But careful; we wouldn't want to spill any syrup on the frilly sheets.

And then there is the jewelry. Moms must have diamonds and pearls.

But what do we really want? Let's take a look at some recent purchases of mine for clues.

As for accessories, for example, I recently bought one of these:



Except in purple, which is more feminine.

For entertainment last week, I wanted not the symphony or the art museum, but only a gaze at the Mayweather-Cotto fight. Had I managed the $59.95 fee for pay-per-view, my joy would have been made complete! This fits the jewelry category, as well: surely 50 Cent wore some nice bling as he accompanied Floyd into the ring.


And finally, I do like shoes. In fact, I came home with four pairs this week, which caused my husband some mild heart palpitations. I bought four not because I like to shop, but because I don't--since I found this many that have potential, I figured I'd grab them all at once, like a bird in the hand, or four.

I'll return at least 3 of them. And they're all athletic shoes, by the way. None of these:



And food? I've asked that we do a day trip to Ann Arbor, where I'll stock up on healthy stuff at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. We'll also make our regular pilgrimage to Liberty Street Robot Supply & Repair, a family favorite. For a time, a robot in the corner would recite pi until you made a donation to their tutoring program.



So there you have it. Some clues on what to get the woman who has everything...that's not all pretty pretty.

3 comments:

  1. omg those shoes look like torture devices! i so hear you on this. i'm not a badass boxer like you, but i'm nowhere near frilly girly land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to post an update; after writing this, I received some more odd and amusing ads via email. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete

He is not here

A jury of peers interrogated Captain Sully after he saved the lives of an entire plane. Save five weeks in 1959, God left Mother Teresa for...